If you were ever fed broth by your mother or grandmother when you were sick, you get it. Broth has been used for many generations and across many traditions to help heal and nourish. There is even a South American proverb that says "Good broth will resurrect the dead". The list of benefits is long, but to name just a few, broth is mineral rich, contains glucosamine, and helps heal the inner lining of the digestive tract.
Broth is a kitchen staple for me and I like to have plenty on hand for soups and stews, to cook grains, and to even sip on by itself. There are so many ways to make broth but I wanted to share a basic guide with options for making a more traditional bone broth with herbs and veggies or making it vegan/vegetarian depending on your diet.
I tend to use whatever is local and whatever I have on hand. I often roast a chicken and keep the bones or visit the local butcher for beef bones. For veggies, you can keep a scrap bag of veggie bits in your freezer and throw them all in too. Making your own broth is also extremely affordable in this way. You can make a big batch all at once and keep jars in your freezer for later as well.
Herbal Bone Broth Recipe
1. Bones - whatever is local and available! Chicken, fish, turkey, beef, and so on. Grass fed is ideal and even better if you know the farmer. Place in pot and add your water. If you don't eat meat, skip this part!
2. Veggies - celery, carrots, onion roughly chopped or veggie scraps.
3. Herbs - bay leaves, ginger, peppercorns are wonderful for flavor but you can also add medicinal mushrooms here such shitakes, reishi, or turkey tail or herbs such as nettle, burdock, or dandelion root for an extra boost.
4. Apple Cider Vineger - if you are using bones you can add 1/3 cup ACV to help extract the minerals.
5. Place everything in a crock pot or on the stove top. I tend to leave my bone broth in a crock pot on low for 24 hours, but you can leave it up to 72 hours. After it's done, strain the broth and place in jars. Broth will last 5 days in the fridge or you can freeze it for later.